Friday, March 11, 2005

Venal, Vestigial and Vile

Gerard points to and expands upon a nasty little story about the United Auto Workers denying Marines driving foreign vehicles or vehicles with bumper stickers supporting President Bush the right to park at their facilities, which are close to the Marine Corps Reserve Center in Detroit.

Why do we need unions again? I mean, now that we have our 40-hour week and what have you? Then again, most people I know work more than that, or wish they could but are denied the right to overtime pay by their employers, and I don't hear the unions making noise about that unless it involves their members (and frankly not even then, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I guess). So what's the point, other than to feed a corrupt system of inappropriate political influence and routine embezzlement?

Thanks to Mr. Lileks, where I too saw it first.

No comments: